How-To Roast Garlic
How to Roast Garlic
Aside from various health benefits, garlic tastes delicious. Roasted garlic is a particularly tasty and sweet, more mellow way to prepare and eat garlic. Roasted garlic can be added to a meal or eaten as a snack but it's at its best when added to foods such as soups or roasts.
Peel away the papery white outer layer that covers the bulb.Leave the individual covering on each clove and leave each clove attached to the root.
Cut a little off the top of the cloves so that you can see down into each clove.
Cut the top (pointed end/stalk) off the head of garlic.
- If preferred, you can remove each clove individually for roasting but this is a more time-consuming method and not really necessary.
Place the head of garlic on a piece of foil large enough to wrap the garlic in.Or use one of those great clay garlic roasters. Or, place cloves in muffin tins, drizzle oil into each garlic head, and cover entire tray with foil.
- Again, if using individual cloves, add them to the package.
Drizzle or brush a little olive oil over the garlic head.
- If using the cloves individually, drizzle oil over each one.
Wrap the garlic head well with the foil.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF/175ºC until the garlic is soft.Start checking at about 30-35 minutes, but it may take more like 50-55 minutes.You can also try higher heat, like 400ºF, for about 35-40 minutes.Either way, the end result should be that the skins are golden brown and the garlic cloves are tender when pierced with a knife.
Remove the roasted garlic from the oven and simply pop the individual cloves out of the roasted paper outers.They should come out easily. Arrange on a plate or add to a dish as needed.
- If roasting individual cloves, simply drop them out of the foil to where they're needed.
- Serve with salt and olive oil. It also goes well with crusty bread.
QuestionWhen I buy roasted garlic, the papery white outer layer always look scorched, but the inner flesh of the garlic is always raw-looking. Why are they are described as roasted?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe inner part normally remains "like raw", even for roasted garlic. You can always peel and roast garlic at home for more of a "cooked" taste.Thanks!
QuestionCan I make it ahead of time and store the roasted garlic?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt should actually be done about three to four hours before you start eating it.Thanks!
QuestionIs it okay to not wrap garlic in tinfoil when roasting?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, that's fine. You will get the best results if you roast the garlic on a grill.Thanks!
Do you cook the garlic before mixing Honey?
- To roast whole already peeled cloves such as those that can be bought in a jar from the store, do as follows: Place the peeled cloves into a small oven proof dish and drizzle with oil and add a splash of water. Season with salt, cover with foil and place in the oven as mentioned above.
- Roasted garlic is wonderful spread on lightly toasted pieces of Italian bread or baguette. You can also add it to mashed potatoes for garlic mashed potatoes.
Things You'll Need
Baking pan if you don't want to add the foil-wrapped bulbs direct to oven shelves
Or, use a clay garlic roaster
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Français: , Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Nederlands: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية:
wikiHow has a test kitchen where we test recipes ourselves. We made this one and it was delicious.
Elizabeth Teresa Narinesingh
Feb 6, 2019
Oct 5, 2019
Oct 13, 2019
Jul 16, 2019
Video: How to Roast Garlic ...and make a Fancy-Pants Crostini
How to Teach Children the Real Meaning of Easter (Christian)
Doing the insurance dance during a job hunt
3 Fresh Ways to Wear White During the Winter
Vitamin D May Boost Colon Cancer Survival
Interferon Alfa 2B Ribavirin
Yoga for Weight Loss: Does itWork
Meghan Markle Totally Changed Her Hair After The Royal Wedding And Its So Pretty
The Breast Cancer-Fighting Fruit
The Biggest Loser Diet Analyzed
A beginner’s guide to counting macros
Boys more likely to cause baby blues