HOW TO BUILD A WARDROBE WITH BASICS | Affordable Men's Clothes | Men's Fashion
Men’s Wardrobe Basics
One of the most popular topics on our forum is the new fashion follower asking for advice on the reinvention of their wardrobe. The demographic of these types of posts is pretty wide, but the question is always the same: where do I start?
Luckily for these budding fashionistos, theFashionBeanscommunity is very responsive, friendly and, to my mind, helpful. Either through direct suggestions or referrals to various articles, assistance is always on hand.
Aside from the forums, we’ve got Matt Allinson’s fantastic ‘Basics’ series, covering almost every aspect of men’s style you could think of. We have also produced guides on reinvention, top trends, how to wear… pretty much everything.
Yet after a quick browse through the archives, I realised that we didn’t have a simple round up of the wardrobe basics – something that identified thekind of piecesthat would help build your new, stylish wardrobe.
Now, I don’t agree with the principle of ‘essentials’. Nothing is ever essential, apart from air, water and food, so none of the below will ever be referred to as essential – they are simply things that could help you on your way. I understand that a list of this kind is subjective, but what I have tried to do is base it on a general, gathered knowledge and the in-house style thatFashionBeansadvocates daily.
The pieces below are generally appropriate for all ages and tastes; they that aren’t flashy or trendy, but rock solid, versatile basics. Enjoy…
The Oxford Cloth Button-Down Shirt (OCBD)
IfFashionBeanshad a club strip, this would most definitely be it. A firm favourite across the board, it is one of the first pieces I would ever suggest to anyone.
Straddling the divide between formal and casual perfectly, these shirts are a worthwhile addition to any modern wardrobe and you will definitely get a lot of use out of them.
Dress shirts can often be too smart – particularly when you’re just starting out – so these are the perfect solution. Buy a couple of them in white and blue and wear them with everything.
Great/popular brands for the OCBD include Uniqlo, Gap, ASOS, Reiss, H.E. By Mango and AllSaints. Being a preppy wardrobe staple, look to American brands like Ralph Lauren, Gant Rugger and J.Crew for premium versions.
- River Island Oxford Shirt In Emerald Green
- Farah Vintage Brewer Oxford Shirt In Grey
- Polo Ralph Lauren Plain Oxford Slim Fit Shirt
- He By Mango Slim-fit Oxford Shirt
- Uniqlo Men Oxford Long Sleeve Shirt B
- Topman Clean Grey Oxford Long Sleeve Shirt
- Nn.07 Derek Cotton Oxford Shirt
- J.crew Button-down Collar Cotton Oxford Shirt
- Reiss Astley Button Down Oxford Shirt Blue
Arguably the perfect beginner’s shoe, they make the transition from trainer to something more grown up effortless. Smart without being formal, the desert boot works with everything, from jeans to shorts to suits – it’s all about how you dress it up.
They are super comfortable and, if you opt for iconic Clarks Originals (which I suggest you do), long lasting.
A pair in light sand or stone suede will complement every piece in your existing wardrobe, but you could also consider brown leather if you are looking for something a bit more hard wearing and seasonally-appropriate.
I will always suggest Clarks first, simply because they are the best – they are the creators of the desert boot silhouette, after all – and £79 isn’t unreasonable for the quality and style kudos that comes as standard.
Cheaper alternatives can be sourced at ASOS, River Island or Office, whilst brands such as Tod’s No_Code, Red Wing, Kurt Geiger and Aldo produce some seriously desirable styles at a higher price point.
- Clarks Originals Leather Desert Boots
- Aldo Brault
- Desert Boot Sand
- Topman Nevada Binding Desert Boots
- Ben Sherman Clegg Suede Desert Boots
- Tods No_code Crepe-sole Suede Desert Boots
- Burns Kg Kurt Geiger
- Asos Desert Boots In Suede
- He By Mango Suede Desert Boots
Slim-Fit Indigo Denim
Completely classic and timeless, slim-fitting indigo jeans are one of the most versatile pieces you’ll ever own.
They are really easy dress to up or down, with the slimmer cut ensuring sharper lines and a better shape. Indigo denim works with almost any look you can think of and will never fall out of fashion, so it’s worth investing good money in selvedge, which is of a higher quality and is almost guaranteed to last longer.
If you are on a budget then I have always found H&M denim to stand up pretty well, but specialist alternatives include A.P.C., Nudie, Levi’s, Edwin, Acne and Diesel, whilst AllSaints have also had some good reviews on our forum.
- Allsaints Megaru Cigarette Jeans
- Asos Skinny Jean In Indigo
- Edwin Black Label Red Listed Jeans
- Reiss Bath Selvedge Denim Jeans Lilac
- Uniqlo Men Slim Fit Straight Denim Jeans A
- He By Mango Slim-fit Dark Bob Jeans
- Levis Jeans 511 Slim Fit Rain Shower
- Nudie Jeans Grim Tim Slim-fit Organic Dry Denim Jeans
- A.p.c. Petit New Standard Slim-fit Dry Selvedge Jeans
Basic knitwear will be an essential component of your layering this season, and you’ll be wearing it a lot.
A couple of crew neck, mid-weight wool or cotton jumpers in grey, navy or oatmeal are a great place to start. These staple colours allow you to play around with bolder shades within the rest of your ensemble and the mid-weight ensures that they sit on the casual side of the spectrum, which is much more suitable when you’re just starting out.
Look for good natural fibre content; brands to check out include H&M, Marks & Spencer, UNIQLO and Reiss.
- Selected Fisherman Jumper
- Allsaints Hexen Crew Jumper
- Asos Lambswool Rich Jumper
- Topman Navy Cable Jumper
- Reiss Chestnut Tuck Stitch Jumper Grey
- Blue Harbour Extrafine Pure Lambswool Twisted Cable Knit Jumper
- He By Mango Flecked Wool-blend Sweater
- Uniqlo Men Lambswool Blend Crew Neck Sweaternep
- A.p.c. Wool And Cashmere-blend Sweater
The Shawl Collar Cardigan
One of Matt Allinson’s favourite pieces, the shawl collar cardigan is an extension of your basic knitwear, working as a second or even third layer in your outfits.
The structured nature of the knit can really help to dress up your overall aesthetic and they look great with basic shirts – try pairing with your OCBD, jeans and desert boots.
Look for one in navy or grey as cream or oatmeal can often be a little bit too bold when applied to such a substantial piece. See basic knitwear section above for recommended brands.
- Asos Textured Cardigan
- Polo Ralph Lauren Cardigan In Chunky Knit Shawl Neck
- He By Mango Cable-knit Wool Cardigan
- Shawl Neck Cardigan
- Reiss Wayfield Textured Shawl Cardi Navy
- Topman Grey Shawl Collar Cardigan
- He By Mango Shawl Collar Cotton Cardigan
- J.crew Shawl-collar Lambswool Cardigan
- Grey Shawl Collar Cardigan
It might seem obvious, but you’d be surprised at the number of men that don’t own a decent selection of plain tees. These are a throw on piece that you don’t need to think about and they elevate any look instantly, just by being unfussy and classic.
Buy multiples in white, navy, grey and black and you’ll be set for a while. My personal brands of choice would be GAP or American Apparel – it’s worth spending a bit more on your tees to avoid shrinkage and warping.
- American Apparel T-shirt
- Allsaints Tonic Crew T-shirt
- American Apparel Power Washed Tee
- The New Crewneck T
- Reiss Dayton Short Sleeve Basic V-neck T-shirt Navy
- River Island Grey Marl Crew Neck T-shirt
Sweaters have seen a real resurgence in popularity over the last year or so, coming to the fore due to the sportswear trend that we’re now experiencing in full force.
These are a bit of an outside choice when it comes to forming a solid wardrobe base, especially when you have already curated a selection of basic knitwear, but for truly casual layering there is nothing better.
Layer over your OCBD or use it as the bottom layer of your outfit under a chunky cardigan or denim jacket. Uniqlo, H&M and Topman all stock a wide selection of sweaters in some great colours and prints, whilst premium brands like Carhartt, Norse Projects, J Crew, Our Legacy and A.P.C. offer high quality versions that are the epitome of sports luxe.
- Norse Projects Men’s Vorm Sweatshirt
- Allsaints Sprint Crew Sweater
- Carhartt Crew Sweatshirt Chase Classic
- Topman Grey Marl Mini Cable Quilted Sweatshirt
- Uniqlo Men Sweat Long Sleeve Shirt C
- He By Mango Ribbed Panel Wool-blend Sweater
- Reiss Roche Crew Neck Sweater Grey Melange
- Our Legacy Reversible Cotton-blend Sweatshirt
- Levis Vintage Clothing 1950s Cotton-jersey Crew Neck Sweatshirt
The check shirt is the casual alternative to the OCBD. In thicker flannel or brushed cotton, these are a considered choice for winter and make great layering pieces – whether under a jumper or over a tee.
Look for larger checks to keep things more casual but in terms of palette, it really is up to you. Uniqlo, H&M, AllSaints or almost any high street store will offer a good selection of check shirts.
- Levis Shirt Barstow Flannel Check
- Allsaints Burrows Shirt
- Shore Leave Flannel Check Shirt
- Uniqlo Men Flannel Checked Long Sleeve Shirt E
- Uniqlo Men Flannel Checked Long Sleeve Shirt I
- He By Mango Slim-fit Twill Check Shirt
- Topman Navy Herringbone Tartan Long Sleeve Shirt
- Gant Rugger Plaid Button-down Collar Cotton Oxford Shirt
- River Island Cream Wesc Check Flannel Shirt
Of course, this list isn’t exhaustive – it could go on indefinitely depending on who was writing it – but I have tried to keep it concise and relevant to our readership. TheFashionBeansimage and ethos is what makes this site so popular, and that is reflected in the advice we give, which is designed to be suitable for the everyday male.
I’d like to believe that the above list is a collection of versatile, wardrobe basics that anyone and everyone could wear with confidence. These timeless pieces will all work together in terms of colour and style, offering a fantastic base to build from.
Video: Basic Wardrobe | The Foundation
How to Detail a Car
Weve Just Discovered the Perfect Leopard-Print Dress for Under 40
Burger joint closes after video appears to show rat cooking
Is Your Chronic Pain All in Your Head
Marc Jacobs FallWinter 2013-2014 Campaign
What You Need to Know About Car Seats from Birth to Booster
Success In Reaching Goals Is Determined By Mindset
Wedding Dresses: Berta Bridal 2015 Collection
Trumps reported pick for secretary of state has longstanding ties to the Russian government
This summer’s best new work outs to know about (including sweating in the dark)
5 Things You Didnt Know About Oats
Are Pool Aerobics a Good Workout