How to Apply Foundation For Beginners - Flat Top Kabuki - Foundation Brush by MintPear
How to Apply Foundation
If you struggle with applying your foundation for a natural look, don't worry, it's a common problem. You’ll need to prepare your skin for makeup first by cleansing and applying a moisturizer. You can also add primer and concealer or color-corrector too. When applying foundation, you want to start with a small amount and apply it to the center of your face, blending outward. Be sure to choose the perfect shade, take your time to apply it the right way, then set your foundation for a flawless look.
Short Video: How to Apply Foundation
To apply foundation, start by dabbing small dots of foundation on your nose, forehead, cheeks, and chin. Then, use a makeup sponge or brush to spread the foundation from the center of your face to the outer edges, including your hairline and jaw. Once your whole face is covered, blend the foundation in using the sponge or brush. Finally, lightly brush a setting powder over your face so your foundation stays in place for longer.
Preparing and Priming Your Skin
Wash your face.Cleaning your skin properly will remove dirt and oil as well as any previous makeup. Make sure to choose a product designed for your skin type:
- Use cleansing water to reduce redness, as this suds-free cleanser is infused with anti-inflammatory agents that will calm your skin.
- Cleansing balms, packed with emollients, are great for adding moisture to dry skin.
- Pick a cleansing mud for oily skin, as the charcoal and clay will remove excess oil from your pores.
- For combination skin use a cleansing gel that removes oil and still delivers light moisturization.
- Choose a cleansing milk for sensitive skin, as these have less water and more nourishing ingredients.
Exfoliate and tone your skin.Flaky or uneven skin doesn’t make a good base for foundation. Use an exfoliating scrub containing hydroxy acid 2-3 times per week. In addition, use a facial toner daily after cleansing your face to maintain smooth and even skin.
Prep your faceApply moisturizer.Everyone should apply a moisturizer with an SPF of 15 or higher to their skin before putting on makeup. This will help protect your skin from the sun’s damaging rays as well as create a glowing look. If you have dry skin, choose a creamy moisturizer. If you have oily skin, pick a gel-based moisturizer.
- If you choose a moisturizer without SPF, apply sunscreen with an SPF or 15 or higher after using moisturizer.
Add primer.Primer can smooth out the surface of your skin and minimize the look of pores. It also combats shine and helps your makeup stick to your skin so it doesn’t fade throughout the day. You can choose a cream, gel, or powder primer. Apply it with your fingers to work the product into your skin.
Put on your pre-foundation makeupColor-correct your skin.Color-corrector should actually be applied before your foundation. Use color-corrector to cover up dark circles under your eyes or uneven patches of skin. Different color-correctors are suited to different issues:
- Pink corrects blue-toned spots on fair skin.
- Peach targets blue or purple shadows on medium skin.
- Orangey-pink conceals dark spots on dark skin.
- Yellow neutralizes purple or dark shadows on olive and tan skin.
- Green cancels out redness.
- Lavender camouflages yellow tones.
Adding Your Foundation
Start with a small amount.You don’t want a heavy, caked-on look, so it’s best to start with a little bit of foundation and add more if you need to. Dab the foundation on the center of your forehead, under your eyes, and on your nose and chin.
Put on your foundationSpread the foundation outward.Start at the center of your face and spread the foundation toward your hairline and neck. You can use your fingers, a brush, or a sponge to blend your makeup. No matter what you choose, you want to use a stippling technique, which means gently tapping it into your skin, rather than rubbing or wiping.
- Use your fingers if you want only a little coverage. Be sure to wash your hands first.
- Use a brush for light and even coverage. A synthetic brush is best, and you should spread the foundation by buffing in small circles.
- Use a sponge for more coverage. Clean your sponge regularly to avoid bacteria buildup.
Blend your foundation with your selected toolBlend your foundation.Use your tool of choice to blend your foundation around your face. There shouldn't be any noticeable lines where your foundation starts or ends; it should blend smoothly into your ears, neck and hairline.
Conceal blemishes.Concealer should be applied after your foundation. Cover up pimples or other blemishes with a bit of concealer. Squeeze a small amount onto the back of your hand and dot it onto the blemish with clean fingers. Be sure to blend it by lightly tapping the concealed area with a sponge or brush.
Finish up on your foundationApply a setting powder.Finish up your entire face by applying a setting powder over your foundation. This is a translucent, matte powder that helps prevent your foundation from sliding around while also preventing oil buildup from showing through.
Choosing the Best Foundation
Pick a product for your skin type.It is important to know whether you have dry, oily, normal or combination skin before applying foundation. This will determine what foundation is right for you. Many foundations are specially designed for different skin types.
- A light foundation, such as mousse is great for oily skin. You can also choose an oil-free liquid or powder foundation.
- A liquid foundation with a built in moisturizing element is perfect for dry skin. You can also choose a hydrating powder or stick foundation.
- Apply a powder foundation if you have combination skin. This allows you to distribute more of the oil-absorbing makeup where you need it and less where you don't.
Choose the right foundation color.As the name implies, your foundation is the basis for the rest of your makeup. To make sure that it acts as a blank canvas, choose a foundation that matches your skin tone identically. Try multiple shades of foundation on your jawline (rather than your hand or your neck), and stick with the color that matches your skin tone without blending.
- Let the foundation absorb for a minute before checking the color as it may change slightly when dry.
Decide on a mediumGet the coverage you want.Most people can simply grab any medium coverage foundation, but if you have specific coverage needs, keep those in mind. Visit the makeup counter at a local department store and try on versions on each to determine which feels the most comfortable and looks the most realistic on your skin.
- Loose powder provides the lightest coverage.
- Pressed powder provides light coverage.
- Tinted moisturizer also provides light coverage.
- Aerosol foundation provides medium coverage.
- Liquid foundation provides full coverage.
- Cream foundation provides the most coverage.
QuestionCan I use a powder foundation with a blush brush?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you may apply a powder foundation with a blush brush, but it is better to use a foundation brush.Thanks!
QuestionShould the foundation go under my chin as well?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou would want to blend the foundation under your chin to avoid any harsh lines. If you don't extend and blend the foundation under your chin, you may look as though you are wearing a mask.Thanks!
QuestionWhat kind of foundation do I apply if I get hot flushes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA foundation with a bit of a greenish undertone will work wonders when it comes to balancing out excessive redness in the face.Thanks!
QuestionI have freckles under my eyes, how can I cover them up?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse concealer and/or foundation. But you shouldn't cover them up! Freckles are cute!Thanks!
QuestionWhat is a good setting powder?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAlmost all powders work well, as they mostly contain similar ingredients. You may want to choose a powder slightly lighter than your skin tone for the best match.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is a good coverage foundation?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThree good options: Rimmel Wake Me Up, Rimmel Match Perfection, and Collection Lasting Perfection.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use a finishing spray instead of a powder?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse powder. Powder is for after foundation, and setting spray is for when all of your makeup is done.Thanks!
QuestionWhich foundation will hide my acne?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTarte Amazonian Clay works best for hiding acne. A little goes a long way with this, and it's a little expensive, but lasts a very long time and it's worth it.Thanks!
QuestionCan foundation hide beard shadow?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionI'm new to makeup all together. I don't have a concealer. Is it a must?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNothing is a must in makeup. You can wear as much or as little as you like. Concealer is not necessary.Thanks!
How old should you be to use foundation and it not damaging your skin?
- If you don't want to pay high prices for a nice foundation, get a sample of a pricey version and take it with you to the drugstore. Match the high-end sample as best you can to the cheap drugstore versions that are available.
- If you are applying foundation with a sponge, it can be helpful to dampen it first.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Nederlands: , Français: , Русский: , 中文: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية: , ไทย: , 日本語:
Video: Foundation DO's and DON'Ts
10 Foods and Drinks That Make You Look Older Than You Are
Blueberry and Almond Tart Recipe
How to Amend a Marriage Certificate
F.A.S.T. Shampoo Conditioner by Nisim
Warby Parker takes on the Luxottica monoply
How to Make a Solar Bottle Bulb
What Your Hair Color Says About Your Health
How to Cook Myanmar Mohinga
7 Crazy Good Ways to Dress Your Toast
How to Get Over a Stomach Ache
Kaia Gerber Lands Her First Fashion Film
How to Share a Dorm with an Autistic Person
5 Weirdly Effective Ways to Clean Your BeautyBlender
5 Best Vegetarian Restaurants In Noida